A person entering into real life after his studies steps into a situation where everything is followed by an interview, and can’t be avoided typically. An interview without any preparations may lead a particular interview to nowhere. Here we bring you some tips to prepare yourself before, during and after a job interview.
Before The Interview
- Job condition and position description should be reviewed.
- Acquire knowledge about the department by visiting their official web pages and forums.
- Go through your resume and gear up to discuss your relevant skills.
- Choose who your references are. They should be a current or past supervisor, teacher/professor or just anyone having knowledge of your work history, skills, abilities and accomplishments.
- Bring extra copies of your resume and a notebook.
- Wear neat and tidy dress reflecting self-confidence and maturity when in the lead for an interview.
- Ensure if you know how to reach to the place where the interview will be. Plan to arrive 10-15 minutes early.
During The Interview
- Take a deep breath before entering into the interview session. Relaxing throughout the interview is a key. Think of the interview as a conversation.
- Be confident and honest right the way through the session.
- Give clear and thoughtful answers listening to the questions carefully.
- Show your interest in the organization and knowledge of the position.
- Ask relevant questions about the job or department.
- Present a list of your references or any letter of recommendation if you have any.
- Wind down the interview with a firm handshake thanking the interviewing panel for their valuable time and consideration.
After The Interview
- Within 24 to 48 hours of interview, send a 3-paragraph thank you letter. Reiterate your interest in the position, and mention your contact information.
- If you are not picked for the job, there is no harm in politely asking an interviewer about which area(s) you could improve on in the future!
Keep these steps as a checklist for any of your upcoming interviews and don’t again miss out your dream job!